Welcome!

Be our guest and feel free to browse our website and enjoy the content we present to the public. If you would like to participate in our discussions and to have full access to the forums, you are most encouraged to register and become an active member of our growing community.

24th of january -> The union between Wallachia and Moldavia

Discussion in 'Pub' started by Doomy, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Doomy

By:DoomyJan 24, 2018
    Clean your room
    Donator Loyalist Strategist

As some of you who played Victoria 2 know, there is a decision when playing either Wallachia or Moldavia to make the national union and form Romania. That is based off of a real life decision that was done by the romanian intellectual and ruling class by tricking the OttoScum Empire.

Due to the OttoScums weakness in the middle of the XIXth century, Wallachian and Moldavian diplomats made a deal with the turks by which the thrones of both principalities would stop being purchased by the highest bidder at the ottoman court and instead, be elected, while maintaining a tributary status. The sultan agreed and elections were held. But there was no specification as to the fact that the same person could end up holding both offices. And so it came to pass that Alexandru Ioan Cuza,
    [​IMG]

Became the ruler of both Wallachia and Moldavia and created the United Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia, later known as Romania (after independence and becoming a kingdom under german prince and cousin of the german Kaiser, Karl I of Hohenzollern).

So yeah. This is a monumental day in Romanian history and for the last 2 years it's been declared a national holiday as well.

2. ponasozis

By:ponasozisJan 24, 2018
    Anger Marine

meanwhile

3. Doomy

Clean your room

Yes, well, multiple things can happen at the same time :)

I was at all the anti-govt protests last year and this one too :). Granted, I don't live in Bucharest so I wasn't there, I was in my own city.

4. 60ep

By:60epJan 24, 2018
    Donator Loyalist Map Maker

Why isn't modern day Moldova joining Romania again btw? Did they stop being romanian at some point?

5. ponasozis

By:ponasozisJan 24, 2018
    Anger Marine

they belong to russia

6. Doomy

Clean your room

well, multiple reasons.

Most of it is political.

Pona is not really wrong and not really correct either. We had a chance post revoliution to make the union but our then-president, Iliescu, who was of a more... commie persuasion, decided against it. Now.. it's kind of in the air.