Warclave

If you wish to fully enjoy the forums and all its features, or simply engage with the community don't forget to register!

A very long time absence

60ep

Donator
Map Maker
Loyalist
So the finnish conscription is taking away another UoS member for a while again as I'm starting my military service next week, just like Garfield did in January. It will take from 6 to 12 months depending on which role I'll be assigned as.

There are some holidays though, so I'll see if I can play during those. But obviously I'll have some time to at least check out the forum + discord and keep on posting memes in #randompics.

Dragon

The Mighty Dragon
Donator
Strategist
Game Admin
stay sharp ep, you got this!
can't believe you got old enough for the army, haha i must be too old

OrlokDaEternal

Strategist
Loyalist
words can't bring meEE down

you are beautiful

no matter what they say

Love you Ep don't die and blast a few commies for me xoxo

Draupne

Map Maker
Protect those beautiful lakes of yours ep, and make sure to secure the future of finnish summer cottages by lakes for another generation

Mr.TRUTH

GG-Emperor
Strategist
Loyalist
Train to kill off THE INFIDELS WHICH WILL DEFILE YOUR MOTHERLAND .
Or become useless as Garfield was and stay with us forever
#UoSforever
Gg

Doomy

Clean your room
Donator
Strategist
Loyalist
Have fun wasting up to a year of your life.
Hope it makes you more ambitious.

EDIT: it made me feel bad leaving such a message even tho 60ep knows what it's about. But I stand by it. Going into the military for a year and then looking to go to college/working life is a pointless exercise. You'll be actively be working against your long term interests.

The only reason to go into the army is to remain in the army and pursue a military career and even there, if you're at least somewhat smart or somewhat ambitious, there are only a few branches that are worth going into. Like military engineering corps, military intelligence or if you also have the physique for it, special forces.

If you're not going to be remaining in the army, that's effectively 1 year of your life spent in utter misery. You don't "train" your body, you just wear it out. You don't "get more disciplined" you just learn to endure more. You don't "pick up valuable life lessons" you just end up peeling potatoes for a year.

The best outcome is to meet people who you form a bond of friendship with that have similar interests to you and that you figure out what you want in life, if you're aimless. Hence, why I said, I hope it makes you more ambitious. But guess what, most people who know what they want in life and have good, clear goals in mind will opt out of the military service and pursue those goals. And don't tell me it's not possible to opt out. I know it is.

Last edited:

Johannhest

The White Wizard
Strategist
Game Admin

EDIT: it made me feel bad leaving such a message even tho 60ep knows what it's about. But I stand by it. Going into the military for a year and then looking to go to college/working life is a pointless exercise. You'll be actively be working against your long term interests.

The only reason to go into the army is to remain in the army and pursue a military career and even there, if you're at least somewhat smart or somewhat ambitious, there are only a few branches that are worth going into. Like military engineering corps, military intelligence or if you also have the physique for it, special forces.

If you're not going to be remaining in the army, that's effectively 1 year of your life spent in utter misery. You don't "train" your body, you just wear it out. You don't "get more disciplined" you just learn to endure more. You don't "pick up valuable life lessons" you just end up peeling potatoes for a year.

The best outcome is to meet people who you form a bond of friendship with that have similar interests to you and that you figure out what you want in life, if you're aimless. Hence, why I said, I hope it makes you more ambitious. But guess what, most people who know what they want in life and have good, clear goals in mind will opt out of the military service and pursue those goals. And don't tell me it's not possible to opt out. I know it is.
its not like he has a choice finland has total conscription for males

Hawk

The White Wolf
Strategist
Chieftain
I doubt it's ironcast.

I'm sure there is a way to postpone/get out of conscription if you do something, like go to college.
You can work a year of civil services instead 6 months of army service, or send a letter saying you don't wish to because (insert reason here), but it mostly falls down to civil services. As far as I understand.

60ep

Donator
Map Maker
Loyalist

I don't think it would be as miserable as you think. It's a new experience, getting to do something else than living normal life. I'm not considering it wasting time. And what do you mean wearing out my body? Is it a problem if I am forced to exercise and end up getting in a better physical condition?
And even if I wouldn't like it, it's a duty everyone needs to do. The state has responsibilities regarding you, it would be selfish to think you wouldn't have any responsibilities regarding the state. Finland has conscription because it cannot fund a big enough professional army to defend all its huge land area. Therefore it's a lot more efficent and in the end beneficial to everyone to have conscription.

I get your logic, but it's selfish. If everyone thought like you in 1939, this country would look like the same shithole that the former soviet countries are today. Good thing they fought for freedom and prosperity that their state offered them. And those who don't should be executed for treason.
I doubt it's ironcast.

I'm sure there is a way to postpone/get out of conscription if you do something, like go to college.
You can work a year of civil services instead 6 months of army service, or send a letter saying you don't wish to because (insert reason here), but it mostly falls down to civil services. As far as I understand.
There isn't any way to avoid it. It doesn't matter if you study in a university or if you are a competetive athlete. Every single man has to do it. You can also instead have the civil service thing that Hawk mentioned, but it takes always 1 year. And you have to work in some shity public sector job getting the same pay that the conscripts get. So it would definetly be a waste of time. Every year there are some who ''totally decline'' both, and they go to prison for 6 months. Out of these options I'm sure you'd pick going to the army for 6 months Doomy.

Tehfebeb

Good Goyim
Donator

I think you are wrong on this Doomy. Conscibtion might be bad for the individual, but it is very beneficial to society, that it has alot of reservists to call up to defend the country in case of war. And it lowers the will of the enemy (in this case russia) to attack, since they know the standing army might be small, but the amount of reservists is high.

As for the individual. I was an arrogant kid, and the army would sure have tought me the strength of hieracy, waking up early in the morning, and working hard. In peacetime like this, knowing military grade tactics and stuff, might be useless. But in 10 years this might be a very important ability as well for basic survival in Europe