Warclave

If you wish to fully enjoy the forums and all its features, or simply engage with the community don't forget to register!

Contemplative Cigarettes?

Are you a smoker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hawk

The White Wolf
Strategist
Chieftain
Ratings
645 1
I wish to talk about a very controversial viewpoint on cigarettes I have. Before I start yes I've tried them, used to smoke when I get out and have a few beers, but have stopped last year completely. Mainly due to just giving them simple thought and seeing that their small high while drinking beer is hardly beneficial in the grand scheme of things.

I think they should be banned, to be short. The production of cigarettes should be stopped, but tobacco should still be available for everyone that wants to smoke it.
The main reason I have this viewpoint, is that logically there is no benefit in smoking cigarettes. It can cause health problems, deadly ones, and they're addictive. If I didn't say I am talking about cigarettes most people would presume I was talking about a drug. Looking it from a government stand point, there is no reason to allow your citizens to be less healthy and die earlier (you're letting your workforce die).

Why I think they're still allowed (past the state making way too much money from taxing cigarettes), its social acceptance of cigarettes. Just as its commonly known that cigarettes are known to cause cancer and are addictive, society accepted them. While e.g. medical cannabis is commonly known can cure cancer and aren't physically addictive, they aren't socially accepted.

So simple question to smokers and non-smokers alike: Why shouldn't we ban them? And why do you smoke?

Doomy

Clean your room
Donator
Strategist
Loyalist
Ratings
332 1
Smoking is "the wrath of the Red Man against the White Man, vengeance for having been given hard liquor"

So no, I don't smoke and I think nobody should. It's a waste of money and health. It makes you dimmer in the mind and makes you stink. I also don't know if they should be banned but they should be demonized. Basically, a serious version of what the Onion does here

dbK

The Shadow
Donator
Loyalist
Ratings
429 4
As an active smoker in a family of smokers, as well as knowing many people who smoke or have quitted and their reasons, I can say that there are three categories of people:
  1. Smoking and trying to quit because of how expensive they are. People in this category rarely succeed. (I fall into this category)
  2. Smoking and trying to quit because of health problems awareness and fear / a change in mindset (can require a change of environment, or not) / a sudden bad experience (i.e. smelling of cigarettes while eating and being distressed because of it). Usually, this is the type of people who succeed in quitting and staying away from them.
  3. Smoking and not wanting to quit. (They could change their view later)

As for my opinion on the matter, I am the "free-for-all" type of person. Everyone's bussiness is their own, as long as it doesn't affect me and that's why I would vote for not a ban, because if people want to throw away their health and money, let them (I would think the same even if I was not actively smoking). On the other hand, it frustrates me a lot the mentality of many, that do not even want to be more open minded and have a traditional thinking.

To answer the second question, I smoke of habbit. Lived all my life surrounded by smokers, being the only non-smoker. Survived like that until I was 18 and was only smoking on rare occasions, to fit in more I guess (my exact mentality at that moment is not clear for the present me) and little by little I became an active day-to-day one. Another point as to why I still smoke, is that I care much more about the mental health, rather than physical one.

Mr.TRUTH

GG-Emperor
Strategist
Loyalist
Ratings
217 1
The consumption of cigarettes are mainly caused by either group forced, a weak mind( knowing it's useless to smoke but still doing it) or following the herd. That's what I believe , by hearing other opinions of people .
The reason why it's not banned is due to the stress young people are receiving, by perhaps family affairs are not doing great , your friends are smoking and you don't or etc.
Another reason is also how much money the state and the industry are getting from people buying that expensive stuff.
Since it also causes health problems, people are getting sick easier and that's good for the pharmacy industry. If people would stop smoking for perhaps one year , not only their life would become better but they also would be healthier which is not good for the pharmacy.
The productions of cigarettes is also very cheap which is another big factor for the fact why cigarettes are not banned.
In my opinion whoever smokes is just either weak minded or another follower of the retarded herd. Sorry for my bad language there, but it's just really retarded , destroying/ damaging your own health even thought you know it . Either never start it or stop it , it's never to late to stop smoking.

Hawk

The White Wolf
Strategist
Chieftain
Ratings
645 1
The consumption of cigarettes are mainly caused by either group forced, a weak mind( knowing it's useless to smoke but still doing it) or following the herd. That's what I believe , by hearing other opinions of people .
The reason why it's not banned is due to the stress young people are receiving, by perhaps family affairs are not doing great , your friends are smoking and you don't or etc.
Another reason is also how much money the state and the industry are getting from people buying that expensive stuff.
Since it also causes health problems, people are getting sick easier and that's good for the pharmacy industry. If people would stop smoking for perhaps one year , not only their life would become better but they also would be healthier which is not good for the pharmacy.
The productions of cigarettes is also very cheap which is another big factor for the fact why cigarettes are not banned.
In my opinion whoever smokes is just either weak minded or another follower of the retarded herd. Sorry for my bad language there, but it's just really retarded , destroying/ damaging your own health even thought you know it . Either never start it or stop it , it's never to late to stop smoking.
It is very 'group' based, and most kids that think that don't belong anywhere go for cigarettes because they think they'll look cool and you can easily fit in a group of smokers (which is true, smokers really connect extremely fast in my experience).
As an active smoker in a family of smokers, as well as knowing many people who smoke or have quitted and their reasons, I can say that there are three categories of people:
  1. Smoking and trying to quit because of how expensive they are. People in this category rarely succeed. (I fall into this category)
  2. Smoking and trying to quit because of health problems awareness and fear / a change in mindset (can require a change of environment, or not) / a sudden bad experience (i.e. smelling of cigarettes while eating and being distressed because of it). Usually, this is the type of people who succeed in quitting and staying away from them.
  3. Smoking and not wanting to quit. (They could change their view later)

As for my opinion on the matter, I am the "free-for-all" type of person. Everyone's bussiness is their own, as long as it doesn't affect me and that's why I would vote for not a ban, because if people want to throw away their health and money, let them (I would think the same even if I was not actively smoking). On the other hand, it frustrates me a lot the mentality of many, that do not even want to be more open minded and have a traditional thinking.

To answer the second question, I smoke of habbit. Lived all my life surrounded by smokers, being the only non-smoker. Survived like that until I was 18 and was only smoking on rare occasions, to fit in more I guess (my exact mentality at that moment is not clear for the present me) and little by little I became an active day-to-day one. Another point as to why I still smoke, is that I care much more about the mental health, rather than physical one.
There is a very clear pattern that children that grow up in a family of smokers often become smokers themselves. Which is psychological for most children, as when your parent says "Cigarettes are bad you should never smoke them!" but then proceeds to light one, kids won't get the point across, we learn by example not by warnings.

dbK

The Shadow
Donator
Loyalist
Ratings
429 4
There is a very clear pattern that children that grow up in a family of smokers often become smokers themselves. Which is psychological for most children, as when your parent says "Cigarettes are bad you should never smoke them!" but then proceeds to light one, kids won't get the point across, we learn by example not by warnings.
I agree with you, even though that was not exactly the case for me. It was more like telling me the truth straightforward, not blantly warn me or #insertConsequence happens, as most of the parents do. Warnings are prone to fail in most of the cases, regarding cigarettes or not to children and teenagers. Especially teenagers.

The solution to that, in my opinion, is more awareness and truth in open conversations without fear of judgement or worse, punishment.

Dragon

The Mighty Dragon
Donator
Strategist
Game Admin
Ratings
911 1
I did smoke before, although, one at some good time, but I never get carried with it or make it a daily, I just don't feel any relief or amusement or any enjoyment at all smoking, but Coffee is a different story for me, I wake up and make coffee so to that i'm very addicted.

Although with smoking I really think its just a 'pass time' thing, like when you want some break then you go smoking to get that break and have some relief with it, to add to it, Because you want a break you'll also have a cigarette with you to pass the time more calmly.

Venderoth

Donator
Archduke
Strategist
Loyalist
Ratings
Here in Sweden a 5min break without doing anything is frowned upon, but going out 5min for taking a smoke? Be my guest. My brother actually started smoking so he could get those 5min breaks with his colleagues. Do I personally think that he should stop smoking? Absolutely. But is it my decision if he should stop smoking? Absolutely not. No banning.

Ske

Mostly Trustworthy
Tech Admin
Donator
Strategist
Ratings
710 1
I wish to talk about a very controversial viewpoint on cigarettes I have. Before I start yes I've tried them, used to smoke when I get out and have a few beers, but have stopped last year completely. Mainly due to just giving them simple thought and seeing that their small high while drinking beer is hardly beneficial in the grand scheme of things.

I think they should be banned, to be short. The production of cigarettes should be stopped, but tobacco should still be available for everyone that wants to smoke it.
The main reason I have this viewpoint, is that logically there is no benefit in smoking cigarettes. It can cause health problems, deadly ones, and they're addictive. If I didn't say I am talking about cigarettes most people would presume I was talking about a drug. Looking it from a government stand point, there is no reason to allow your citizens to be less healthy and die earlier (you're letting your workforce die).

Why I think they're still allowed (past the state making way too much money from taxing cigarettes), its social acceptance of cigarettes. Just as its commonly known that cigarettes are known to cause cancer and are addictive, society accepted them. While e.g. medical cannabis is commonly known can cure cancer and aren't physically addictive, they aren't socially accepted.

So simple question to smokers and non-smokers alike: Why shouldn't we ban them? And why do you smoke?

Yea i smoke.

Used to smoke cigarettes, but they triggered my migraines.

I think alot of these arguments are weak. I think few people truly does it to "look cool". Thats spoken like a true anti-smoker. There are numerous other reasons to smoke, some of them you mention yourself. Its a social event. It gives you dopamine. It lowers appetite for weight loss. And a simple fact often ignored: It feels good!

The most essential reason i smoke is due to its calming effect. There is one thing in the world killing more people than cigarettes, and that is stress. I have severe headaches triggered by stress, so the 10min break you take smoking your cigarette can be golden. Especially if you work hard and sometimes neglect to take breaks and relax.
These days i microdosage nicotine in an electronic cigarette. A dosage somewhere below a light cigarette. It saves me from the many toxins of smoking, yet still gives me the calming effects of nicotine.

I would never vote for a ban, as i love Liberty. The government should never decide what an individial does to himself - as long he is not harming other people.

ponasozis

Anger Marine
Ratings
482 1
I only pretend to smoke while at bars to pick up thots
Pretty easy you ask for lighter from a thot and you pretty much got her in your bed

Ratings
Well smoking isn't really regulated here so people who smoke do harm other people. Like when I want to get a breath of fresh air between lectures I have to choke through a cloud of smoke.
Also, pona hitting bar thots? Seriously? You gotta have some standards man.

ponasozis

Anger Marine
Ratings
482 1
Well smoking isn't really regulated here so people who smoke do harm other people. Like when I want to get a breath of fresh air between lectures I have to choke through a cloud of smoke.
Also, pona hitting bar thots? Seriously? You gotta have some standards man.

I ain t looking for long term relationship cause i don t have time for it and i don t trust anyone with my business secrets
And in lithuania there is only two kind of woman those who want long term relationship and bar thots