Warclave

If you wish to fully enjoy the forums and all its features, or simply engage with the community don't forget to register!

Help dbK with your top Medieval Fantasy Movies/Tv Shows

dbK

The Shadow
Donator
Loyalist
Ratings
429 4
The reason behind this thread is that I am trying to write a Medieval Fantasy Story, hopefully a book or a series of books. I have a lot of ideas and have the big picture in my head ish, but I find it very hard to get myself to actually write things down, so hopefully more inspiration comes to me if I watch some more (The main inspispirations come from Lord of The Ring Trilogy and the games Gothic & Warcraft + smaller things and my wild imagination).

The reason I did not ask for books is time efficiency. It would take me months or a year at best to finish a couple of books. I have 3 books suggested that I hope I can find to read.

Cheers in advance

Ratings
Man if you want a quality Medieval Fantasy book, read the Kingkiller Chronicles, I've been a Tolkien nerd all my life (still am), but I have to say that The Name of the Wind, and Wise Man's Fear are better written and far more interesting (not surprising considering the generation gap between Tolkien and us, fantasy has evolved a lot since papa Tolkien basically invented it). I've been trying to do some writing, I'm working a short novel, I've got the gist of it mostly done, but it has been really hard, and still is.

TeaCup

I like Tea
Strategist
Game Admin
Ratings
61 2
i know of a couple, they are a good watch if your looking for some medieval type show no fantasy elements sadly just pure old fashioned hack and slash

The Last Kingdom - The series is set in the late 9th century AD, when England is divided into seven separate kingdoms. The Anglo-Saxon lands are gradually attacked, plundered, and effectively ruled by Viking Danes in many areas. The Kingdom of Wessex remains the last major stronghold against the Danes.

Vikings - follows the exploits of the legendary Viking chieftain Ragnar Lothbrok

Would like to point out the above two series are 18+ contains a lot of blood gore and sexual themes

Teacup

dbK

The Shadow
Donator
Loyalist
Ratings
429 4
Man if you want a quality Medieval Fantasy book, read the Kingkiller Chronicles, I've been a Tolkien nerd all my life (still am), but I have to say that The Name of the Wind, and Wise Man's Fear are better written and far more interesting (not surprising considering the generation gap between Tolkien and us, fantasy has evolved a lot since papa Tolkien basically invented it). I've been trying to do some writing, I'm working a short novel, I've got the gist of it mostly done, but it has been really hard, and still is.
Will note the books, but as I stated in my post, I'd rather have right now something to watch, to visualise rather than read as it could take me a long time right now to do that. Nonetheless, will note them for when the time comes, thanks ^^
i know of a couple, they are a good watch if your looking for some medieval type show no fantasy elements sadly just pure old fashioned hack and slash

The Last Kingdom - The series is set in the late 9th century AD, when England is divided into seven separate kingdoms. The Anglo-Saxon lands are gradually attacked, plundered, and effectively ruled by Viking Danes in many areas. The Kingdom of Wessex remains the last major stronghold against the Danes.

Vikings - follows the exploits of the legendary Viking chieftain Ragnar Lothbrok

Would like to point out the above two series are 18+ contains a lot of blood gore and sexual themes

Teacup
I have watched a few episodes of The Last Kingdom, not very sure why I stopped.

And Vikings...oh boy, Vikings is in my top favorite Series haha. Vikings doesn't have any nude content, but yeah a very lot of blood which I love. As much as I agree on them being good in medieval category, sadly I need fantasy as well.

I have watched
- LoTR series
- The Hobbit series
- Vikings
- Game of Thrones
- Britannia (I recommend)
- Spartacus
I might have forgotten some, I definitely did

Ratings
140 1
The reason behind this thread is that I am trying to write a Medieval Fantasy Story, hopefully a book or a series of books. I have a lot of ideas and have the big picture in my head ish, but I find it very hard to get myself to actually write things down, so hopefully more inspiration comes to me if I watch some more (The main inspispirations come from Lord of The Ring Trilogy and the games Gothic & Warcraft + smaller things and my wild imagination).

The reason I did not ask for books is time efficiency. It would take me months or a year at best to finish a couple of books. I have 3 books suggested that I hope I can find to read.

Cheers in advance
Have you read Game of Thrones? One of the best and well written fantasy novels Ive ever seen. One of its greatest elemants is how realistic the books are, and how medievaly-accurate they are, relatively to other fantasy books which sometimes have too much fantasy into it.

Tho you havnt asked for books recommandtion but TV shows, which is odd to me as you are planning to write a book, not a TV series. You should read more than to watch TV in my opinion, but I guess you already read much and want a faster way.

Aside from LOTR series and GoT, that I really like I would recommand you on watching Merlin (2008-2012). Really nice TV Fantasy show by BBC. Its about King Arthur and his wizard - Merlin.
Has a lot of medieval elemants into it, and much fantasy as well. I think you would like it. Tho I havnt watched it for a while and I dont remember too much.

Would also recommand you on watching the Narnia series if you havnt. A classic based on the old novels. It has only 3 movies so it shouldnt be too long.

Damn Voodoo, I could never relate and agree to something more than that in my life. Ive read Tolkien and Narnia but they are no where to be as good and well written as modern fantasy.
I was looking for a new fantasy novel to read for a while, and I will gladly take your suggestion.
I think I tried to read The Name of The Wind long ago, but didnt finish it.
Kinda nice to see that there some people of culture here in this clan that enjoy moderate fantasy.

dbK

The Shadow
Donator
Loyalist
Ratings
429 4
Have you read Game of Thrones? One of the best and well written fantasy novels Ive ever seen. One of its greatest elemants is how realistic the books are, and how medievaly-accurate they are, relatively to other fantasy books which sometimes have too much fantasy into it.

Tho you havnt asked for books recommandtion but TV shows, which is odd to me as you are planning to write a book, not a TV series. You should read more than to watch TV in my opinion, but I guess you already read much and want a faster way.

Aside from LOTR series and GoT, that I really like I would recommand you on watching Merlin (2008-2012). Really nice TV Fantasy show by BBC. Its about King Arthur and his wizard - Merlin.
Has a lot of medieval elemants into it, and much fantasy as well. I think you would like it. Tho I havnt watched it for a while and I dont remember too much.

Would also recommand you on watching the Narnia series if you havnt. A classic based on the old novels. It has only 3 movies so it shouldnt be too long.

Damn Voodoo, I could never relate and agree to something more than that in my life. Ive read Tolkien and Narnia but they are no where to be as good and well written as modern fantasy.
I was looking for a new fantasy novel to read for a while, and I will gladly take your suggestion.
I think I tried to read The Name of The Wind long ago, but didnt finish it.
Kinda nice to see that there some people of culture here in this clan that enjoy moderate fantasy.
I know I am supposed to read, not watch, but I explained why I asked for something to visualise rather than dwelve into books. I know I should read, I barely read enough, but that's just the current situation. I'll get into books when I will have the chance to. Also, will watch Narnia then ^^. I have watched Merlin some years ago on TV, not top but has a lot of funny moments.
Man The Name of The Wind is really worth it, READ IT. Also we need an urgent sub for gokalp tonight.
IT IS ON MY LIST AND WILL GET IT WHEN I CAN

Also, what do you mean with "urgent sub for gokalp"?

TeaCup

I like Tea
Strategist
Game Admin
Ratings
61 2
watched Britannia, really enjoyed the show.

The alternative timeline is interesting and there is a touch of fantasy that keeps the viewer interested in the supernatural element of the show.

All in a good watch, you have anymore?

Teacup