witcher 1 -3 and my views on series as whole

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
see i loved witcher i remember playing witcher 1 first
when it came out version with fucking long loading times that got fixed with later version and alot bugs i came to chapter 3 got crash problem and stopped

later i picked withcer 1 against this time also came to chapter 3 bug again i stopped i think i was playing verision 1,1

later i came back 3 time this thime i only came chapter and got bored and stopped

so i waited and came back 2012 and completed withcer 10 times first 7 times without mod 3 last with mod

the mod i used fcr the guy also made mod to witcher 2 and later joined witcher team to make witcher 3

so doomy said witcher 1 2 is just graphic upgrade i disagree and hers why

first i loved witcher 1 combat even thouight witcher 1 is one the most easy game i ever played even on hard and hard and normall is same other sword icon
and other small changes

hardest fight in withcer 1 is first real boss beast or plant under cave

but rest of game everything is easy with new jacket you can buy alot of potíon and so on

what i loved about witcher 1 comparedd to other witcher games

was characters was alot more memorable and like sieg fred kalk stein

villians were also memorable like azar javed the proffersor grandmaster
and so on compared to witcher 2 you had letho and withcer 3 you got eredin the others dont have any personality i wont to have villianst with personality

witcher 1 was also dark like depressing

while withcer 2 was not and witcher 3 was only depressing in part of velen

while withcer 1 was most of the game had depressing feeling i just loved

see i loved witcher i remember playing witcher 1 first
when it came out version with fucking long loading times that got fixed with later version and alot bugs i came to chapter 3 got crash problem and stopped

later i picked withcer 1 against this time also came to chapter 3 bug again i stopped i think i was playing verision 1,1

later i came back 3 time this thime i only came chapter and got bored and stopped

so i waited and came back 2012 and completed withcer 10 times first 7 times without mod 3 last with mod

the mod i used fcr the guy also made mod to witcher 2 and later joined witcher team to make witcher 3

so doomy said witcher 1 2 is just graphic upgrade i disagree and hers why

first i loved witcher 1 combat even thouight witcher 1 is one the most easy game i ever played even on hard and hard and normall is same other sword icon
and other small changes

hardest fight in withcer 1 is first real boss beast or plant under cave

but rest of game everything is easy with new jacket you can buy alot of potíon and so on

what i loved about witcher 1 comparedd to other witcher games

was characters was alot more memorable and like sieg fred kalk stein

villians were also memorable like azar javed the proffersor grandmaster
and so on compared to witcher 2 you had letho and withcer 3 you got eredin the others dont have any personality i wont to have villianst with personality

witcher 1 was also dark like depressing

while withcer 2 was not and witcher 3 was only depressing in part of velen

while withcer 1 was most of the game had depressing feeling i just loved
Funny that you mention it because I started the Witcher series recently, i finished the first one two weeks ago and now im playing witcher 2.
And tbf, evem tho witcher 1 has the worst combat and worst graphics, I really liked it, much more than Witcher 2 (I get a bit bored when i play it, cant play it for too long).
Witcher 1 was very enjoyable, it is like you said - charachaters were more memorable and unique, I liked Berengar and Shina, Abigail kalkastein too.
Idk about javed and the proffesor, i feel like you dont get enough information about them, but even from the bits you do know you see how unique they are.
As for combat, yes it was too easy, most of the stuff were very either to kill (except the ranged tentacles monsters, hate those).
Cant really understand how the Beast Boss was hard, i killed it in a moment. The Boss that was the most difficult for me was The Golem (Took me more than an hour to figure how to kill it).

But of course, the thing I liked the most was all the philisphical questions (especially towards the end) and how the paths you choose affect the game and your motives. I think that each one of them was brilliant and interesting.

Doomy

Clean your room
Donator
Strategist
Loyalist
Funny that you mention it because I started the Witcher series recently, i finished the first one two weeks ago and now im playing witcher 2.
And tbf, evem tho witcher 1 has the worst combat and worst graphics, I really liked it, much more than Witcher 2 (I get a bit bored when i play it, cant play it for too long).
Witcher 1 was very enjoyable, it is like you said - charachaters were more memorable and unique, I liked Berengar and Shina, Abigail kalkastein too.
Idk about javed and the proffesor, i feel like you dont get enough information about them, but even from the bits you do know you see how unique they are.
As for combat, yes it was too easy, most of the stuff were very either to kill (except the ranged tentacles monsters, hate those).
Cant really understand how the Beast Boss was hard, i killed it in a moment. The Boss that was the most difficult for me was The Golem (Took me more than an hour to figure how to kill it).

But of course, the thing I liked the most was all the philisphical questions (especially towards the end) and how the paths you choose affect the game and your motives. I think that each one of them was brilliant and interesting.
Moving from witcher 1 to witcher 2 is like getting kicked by a mule. Very fucking painful. But very shortly (right about as you finish the first act) you will learn to love it. The gameplay is much more interesting and more... let's say interesting. You'll learn to appreciate the versatility it'll provide you in combat. You'll learn to love to plan. You'll get better at picking up where the encounters are going to come from and learn that you should generally ALWAYS be packing potions and ALWAYS be doped up. You'll find it more enjoyable and you'll love to use your potions/ bombs/ knives/ magic to win the fight.

And then you'll move onto witcher 3 and you'll get another kick in the teeth. This is why W3 is great with some mods. It's good on its own too, but it's great with mods that disrupt the inconvenience and stupidity of some aspects of the open world mentality. We can talk about this when you get there. I am currently replaying W3.

I sincerely LOVE witcher 2. I didn't like when I first started but now I find it very good. The story is focused, it doesn't overstay it's welcome. The world is rich. And sure, the color scheme being a bit more saturated doesn't feel that damp/moody/desperate feel you get from the first acts in witcher 1. Witcher 2 is basically Lakeside all the time in terms of color contrast. Beautiful lush areas with tons of detail. The "uncanny valley" experience from the characters gets replaced with normality and you'll learn to love it. And it's just as dark as Witcher 1 in terms of story and narrative. The characters are also well developed and the consequences you face for your decision go a long way.

It also helps to plan in witcher 2. Plan you skill points. Plan your gear. Plan everything. Witcher 2 is all about planning. And being careful with what you do. It's game you need to commit to.
The first time I picked up Witcher 2 I abandoned it for 2 years because I couldn't get into it. The 2nd time I got into it I decided to give it a weekend.. and it sucked me in and never recovered since. It truly is a masterpiece.

Moving from witcher 1 to witcher 2 is like getting kicked by a mule. Very fucking painful. But very shortly (right about as you finish the first act) you will learn to love it. The gameplay is much more interesting and more... let's say interesting. You'll learn to appreciate the versatility it'll provide you in combat. You'll learn to love to plan. You'll get better at picking up where the encounters are going to come from and learn that you should generally ALWAYS be packing potions and ALWAYS be doped up. You'll find it more enjoyable and you'll love to use your potions/ bombs/ knives/ magic to win the fight.

And then you'll move onto witcher 3 and you'll get another kick in the teeth. This is why W3 is great with some mods. It's good on its own too, but it's great with mods that disrupt the inconvenience and stupidity of some aspects of the open world mentality. We can talk about this when you get there. I am currently replaying W3.

I sincerely LOVE witcher 2. I didn't like when I first started but now I find it very good. The story is focused, it doesn't overstay it's welcome. The world is rich. And sure, the color scheme being a bit more saturated doesn't feel that damp/moody/desperate feel you get from the first acts in witcher 1. Witcher 2 is basically Lakeside all the time in terms of color contrast. Beautiful lush areas with tons of detail. The "uncanny valley" experience from the characters gets replaced with normality and you'll learn to love it. And it's just as dark as Witcher 1 in terms of story and narrative. The characters are also well developed and the consequences you face for your decision go a long way.

It also helps to plan in witcher 2. Plan you skill points. Plan your gear. Plan everything. Witcher 2 is all about planning. And being careful with what you do. It's game you need to commit to.
The first time I picked up Witcher 2 I abandoned it for 2 years because I couldn't get into it. The 2nd time I got into it I decided to give it a weekend.. and it sucked me in and never recovered since. It truly is a masterpiece.
Damn, Im gonna give it a second chance then.

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist

good thing we can agree on something i agree on graphics but when the game came out in 2007 the graphics werent that bad but loading screen were but there got fixed later with pacthes

combat is better than dungeon siege or diablo 1 2 or sacred 1 or newer winter or baldur gate

andb better than morrowind and the combo thing is fun and looks cool for geralt when combo

sadly you wont seee berengar anymore even if you you spare his live and keep him alive in battle azar javed

kalkstien dies abigal you jsut get mention siegfried plays small role witcher 2 but not 3

alvin aka grandmaster since he dies yaivin who was boring dont make return shani does witcher 3 but small role sadly compared to witcher 1

in witcher 3 you got yennefer and ciri instead and fat bald man i forgot his name isnstead

villians are all meh in withcer 2 just bunch nilfgaard memorable only letho

witcher 3 you eredin and crones but the but rest of wild hunt are just have no personality

about the boss battle vs golem is one the most easy if not easiet boss you need to learn the way

about beast if you dont have oil or get lucky stun beast and one hit kill

then you just run and fight i had swallot and liked hit and run on beast

also tentacles monsters, you talk about are the plant or cenetipede on chapter 4

or the zeugl boss?

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
yeah i liked witcher you had 3 choices like neutral or 2 others

and most of them felt gray not black and white

like the vampire quest was one the best examples

most choices wither 1 about what is lesser evil of choices

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist

play withcer 1 or 2 with fcr makes combat alot more challenging

also if you play on hard witcher 1 and early on game you need to use potion but later you dont

bombs in withcer 2 are more fun than witcher 3 but combat is not as good you say

it dont feel realstic is too fast paced and buggy glicty even with fcr ;)

Doomy

Clean your room
Donator
Strategist
Loyalist
play withcer 1 or 2 with fcr makes combat alot more challenging

also if you play on hard witcher 1 and early on game you need to use potion but later you dont

bombs in withcer 2 are more fun than witcher 3 but combat is not as good you say

it dont feel realstic is too fast paced and buggy glicty even with fcr ;)
I don't use FCR but I do have a flurry of other mods. Works out ok.

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
I don't use FCR but I do have a flurry of other mods. Works out ok.
what i remember from fcr to withcer 2 is it makes xp system like witcher 3
so in fcr you wont get xp from killing monsters but only quest but all skills are made of single point

i know witcher 3 you get little bit xp but alot less compared to withcer 2 1
fcr to witcher 1 just makes monsters alot harder and human enemies easier so you have to use oil and potion when fighting monster even on easy fcr witcher 1

and you get knew sign to play with

I agree with Doomy on most of his points tbh. I liked w2 more than w3 and I have lost a lot of interest in w3 solely because of the mad bandwagon and weird, almost fanatical, internet praising that w3 has been getting. I mean w3 isn't bad I really liked it however I enjoyed w2 more even though it was more of a railed experience and honestly I think w2 really demonstrates how a railed gaming experience can be done well. I played w2 at 10 fps due to a non gaming laptop and still enjoyed the game to no end. If that doesn't speak for itself I don't know what does lol.

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
I agree with Doomy on most of his points tbh. I liked w2 more than w3 and I have lost a lot of interest in w3 solely because of the mad bandwagon and weird, almost fanatical, internet praising that w3 has been getting. I mean w3 isn't bad I really liked it however I enjoyed w2 more even though it was more of a railed experience and honestly I think w2 really demonstrates how a railed gaming experience can be done well. I played w2 at 10 fps due to a non gaming laptop and still enjoyed the game to no end. If that doesn't speak for itself I don't know what does lol.
godday lizard knight :) good to see you

people who say witcher 2 is better than witcher 1 are same people who say gothic 4 and expasion is better than risen seires
people who say gothic 3 and is expasion is better than gothic 1 2 lawl
'
lets keep it real witcher 2 combat is unrealistic is more like sword dance that battle i knew witcher had flashy combat style from books but not like witcher 2
also i want to point out witcher 1 has more flashy combat but witcher 1 is story and characters focused

witcher 2 has alot less strong females witcher 2 you had saskia

in witcher 3 that i havent even completed i know there shani maybe 2 3 in blood and wine dlc

you got ves kerezt mezt phillipe who does more here than in witcher 2 where she just doing background job

yennefer and ciri and alot more females i havent meet yet
because im playing ps4 and just came novrigrad

witcher 2 combat vs humans to easy and boring but in witcher 3 while still easy in hardest diffuculty is need more than attack button spam

witcher 2 combat is roll quen and repeat and sword attack are so long range that you can rool 10 meter away from monster and still attack it

witcher 3 every monster has own weakness and you can just doing same thing to all them

also i never said withcer 3 is great

i said witcher 1 is great a game you said is worse than witcher 2 on story and so on

like witcher 1 is alot more slavic thna witcher 2

and alot better characters

godday lizard knight :) good to see you

people who say witcher 2 is better than witcher 1 are same people who say gothic 4 and expasion is better than risen seires
people who say gothic 3 and is expasion is better than gothic 1 2 lawl
'
lets keep it real witcher 2 combat is unrealistic is more like sword dance that battle i knew witcher had flashy combat style from books but not like witcher 2
also i want to point out witcher 1 has more flashy combat but witcher 1 is story and characters focused

witcher 2 has alot less strong females witcher 2 you had saskia

in witcher 3 that i havent even completed i know there shani maybe 2 3 in blood and wine dlc

you got ves kerezt mezt phillipe who does more here than in witcher 2 where she just doing background job

yennefer and ciri and alot more females i havent meet yet
because im playing ps4 and just came novrigrad

witcher 2 combat vs humans to easy and boring but in witcher 3 while still easy in hardest diffuculty is need more than attack button spam

witcher 2 combat is roll quen and repeat and sword attack are so long range that you can rool 10 meter away from monster and still attack it

witcher 3 every monster has own weakness and you can just doing same thing to all them

also i never said withcer 3 is great

i said witcher 1 is great a game you said is worse than witcher 2 on story and so on

like witcher 1 is alot more slavic thna witcher 2

and alot better characters
Hold your horses there buddy. I never said anything about witcher 1. I never even claimed that I played it let alone said its inferior to anything that I mentioned. Read over my post, I was saying I liked witcher 2 over witcher 3. Also your point about combat dancing is more relevent for w3 than w2 although to be honest its really fine honestly. I really liked the whirlwind attacks you could get in w3 though haha.

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
Hold your horses there buddy. I never said anything about witcher 1. I never even claimed that I played it let alone said its inferior to anything that I mentioned. Read over my post, I was saying I liked witcher 2 over witcher 3. Also your point about combat dancing is more relevent for w3 than w2 although to be honest its really fine honestly. I really liked the whirlwind attacks you could get in w3 though haha.
are joking have you played witcher 3 2 and you tell me that witcehr 3 is more dancing

why you busting my balls like that not nice
whirlwind is special move attack im talking about standard attack and you know it so stop

you know im right and you dont even give me details you just say quick i agree with doomy and w3 is more dancing

give me details :)

are joking have you played witcher 3 2 and you tell me that witcehr 3 is more dancing

why you busting my balls like that not nice
whirlwind is special move attack im talking about standard attack and you know it so stop

you know im right and you dont even give me details you just say quick i agree with doomy and w3 is more dancing

give me details :)
Well I could go on and on about all the great points about both games however I am constrained by time. Also like I would like to revisit what makes "dancing bad". It has been a while since I played both games however I would appreciate if you could give me a comparison as to what game does melee combat better. Just look at skyrim or oblivion, w3 is surely an improvement right? Don't say mount and blade because it is totally different genre. I doubt they could do aimed combat with blocks where monsters and giant creatures are concerned, not to mention chimeras and drakes and everything else you don't want.

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
Well I could go on and on about all the great points about both games however I am constrained by time. Also like I would like to revisit what makes "dancing bad". It has been a while since I played both games however I would appreciate if you could give me a comparison as to what game does melee combat better. Just look at skyrim or oblivion, w3 is surely an improvement right? Don't say mount and blade because it is totally different genre. I doubt they could do aimed combat with blocks where monsters and giant creatures are concerned, not to mention chimeras and drakes and everything else you don't want.
firstly why you even put elder scrolls games here
and i wanna say i like morrowind the best but the game has aged that well graphic wise but you got mods for it the archer system nearly remains the same mage combat is good
you can complain about melee but i like it hit miss combat

i alot of people hate oblivion for either grass all time or red daedra world but l liked obliviob alot more than skyrim

i also liked fallout new vegas and fallout 3 more than fallout 4 so new is not always better

i also liked geralt as charterter better in witcher 2 than wicher 3 overall because witcher 3 is openworld game i like it better and is first game there made openworld

so there get more point from me

also diablo 2 alot better than diablo 3

gothic 2 1 has better combat system than gothic 3

there have better world and quest only thing gothic 3 has graphics because is newer game

i can name millions older games that are all better than sequel but i dont have all day writing this all down

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
i have alot games i forgot that i could add

maybe later in day remember them next day i forgot about them

i never said withcer 3 is great i said witcher 1 is best

also i completed witcher 1 2 many with or without mods

witcher 3 im´on my first playthrought and im only 1/10 in game
and there also 2 expasion that i already completed stand alone but not original game

i will be complete late may then i can begin saying what i think about witcher 3 but right now i cant defend game i know nothing about

but i played witcher 1 2 more than anyone here in uos

and i can say easily than witcher 1 is better from all 10 times i played it

Just a few really great improvements I noticed about witcher 2/3 are the lack of "misses" and realitic combat pace. Your character no longer stands infront of an enemy and misses his attacks for some reason. Not to mention you don't have to stand for 5 hours infront of some enemy dog slicing his face 100 times before he backs off our dies.

You seem to really like witcher 1 so I went ahead and watched a basic combat video of it.
The graphics and combat looks really good, much better then I anticipated it to be. Regardless it still has the atrocious "miss" mechanic which I hated ever since I played games like runescape or maplestory or any game with such a mechanic. It just looks stupid watching as your character misses someone right infront of their face. Just how incompetent is the character that you are playing?
1551306636536.png

So that is my first gripe and the first thing I would point out is a great improvement. Like in witcher 2 3 you can actually physically dodge hits. Not like in marrowind and I don't want to hurt anyone's nostalgia however it is just crazy standing right infront of someone's face without him moving an inch and somehow missing half your attacks consistently.

Another good thing about witcher 2 and 3 is the combat speed. It is really lame when in morrowind, wow, runescape or any games with such a mechanic your incompetent character representetive needs to stab and slash someone with a war weapon that can kill in 1 slice, even an enemy such as a dog, before the critter expires. A man weilding a sword or an axe should be able to end such opponents in mare seconds, let alone
flail and wave your sword maniacly at a pathetic dog for half a minute like some kind of pedestrian. Like that is not how combat works. In the witcher 1 video this dude was just fighting rats/dogs and it looks obsence when he stands flailing his swords like a mad man for 1 minute against some pathetic rat and probably also missing as well. That doesn't make me feel good when I am experiencing an rpg.

Overall Some really good improvements that w2/3 had made on what seems to have been a respectable base game(w1). They improved combat pace and consistency tremendously and they deserve their place. I really want to applaud them on that of course there is always more room for improvement like a more dynamic swinging system perhaps with more physics however it is still very good as it is.

Just a few really great improvements I noticed about witcher 2/3 are the lack of "misses" and realitic combat pace. Your character no longer stands infront of an enemy and misses his attacks for some reason. Not to mention you don't have to stand for 5 hours infront of some enemy dog slicing his face 100 times before he backs off our dies.

You seem to really like witcher 1 so I went ahead and watched a basic combat video of it.
The graphics and combat looks really good, much better then I anticipated it to be. Regardless it still has the atrocious "miss" mechanic which I hated ever since I played games like runescape or maplestory or any game with such a mechanic. It just looks stupid watching as your character misses someone right infront of their face. Just how incompetent is the character that you are playing?
View attachment 2110

So that is my first gripe and the first thing I would point out is a great improvement. Like in witcher 2 3 you can actually physically dodge hits. Not like in marrowind and I don't want to hurt anyone's nostalgia however it is just crazy standing right infront of someone's face without him moving an inch and somehow missing half your attacks consistently.

Another good thing about witcher 2 and 3 is the combat speed. It is really lame when in morrowind, wow, runescape or any games with such a mechanic your incompetent character representetive needs to stab and slash someone with a war weapon that can kill in 1 slice, even an enemy such as a dog, before the critter expires. A man weilding a sword or an axe should be able to end such opponents in mare seconds, let alone
flail and wave your sword maniacly at a pathetic dog for half a minute like some kind of pedestrian. Like that is not how combat works. In the witcher 1 video this dude was just fighting rats/dogs and it looks obsence when he stands flailing his swords like a mad man for 1 minute against some pathetic rat and probably also missing as well. That doesn't make me feel good when I am experiencing an rpg.

Overall Some really good improvements that w2/3 had made on what seems to have been a respectable base game(w1). They improved combat pace and consistency tremendously and they deserve their place. I really want to applaud them on that of course there is always more room for improvement like a more dynamic swinging system perhaps with more physics however it is still very good as it is.
Even though W1 combat style might seem bad it isn't that much
Most of the miss actions are there because of the wrong combat style, try heavy on a small folk, or group on one guy and of course you'll miss
But it improves over time, you have skill points to add to decrease the chances

W1 is really about sword combat style, if you try something you'll 99% be disappointed and that's normal
If you look at axe combat style on W3 it's almost the same as with a sword, and from my perspective it doesn't look good, it should be a lot different

Main prob about combat style on W1, is that passed Chapter 3 you barely need it, and starting at chapter 5 when you have gold points, you don't need it anymore, you just spam Igni to hell and shit is done

I can't say much about W2, I didn't like it that much, and main prob was actually combat style, it felt to damn different that I was lost to the seven hells and couldn't do shit
I also read lore about W2 and compared to W1 it looks shit, not say it's absolute garbage compared to W3

I agree with most of the points you made Onyx except the axe. I just used it as a general example of a weapon that should theoretically atleast in real life, disable or slay a foe in one or 2 hits not 20-30 hits. Again I agree that w3 could have used some more swinging animations and such.

Of course I don't really understand your gripe with w2 and "what lost in 7 hell means" like the combat is quite intuitive and straight forward. Is it the dodge/roll mechanic that is hard to understand? I believe it is where games are going generally these days even dark souls, heck even WOW has incorporated it with demon hunters I believe correct me if I am wrong.

Generally games have been receiving improvements over the years yet I still feel like it has been coming slow. Either way improvements are improvements old man, start getting with the times hehe :p

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
I agree with most of the points you made Onyx except the axe. I just used it as a general example of a weapon that should theoretically atleast in real life, disable or slay a foe in one or 2 hits not 20-30 hits. Again I agree that w3 could have used some more swinging animations and such.

Of course I don't really understand your gripe with w2 and "what lost in 7 hell means" like the combat is quite intuitive and straight forward. Is it the dodge/roll mechanic that is hard to understand? I believe it is where games are going generally these days even dark souls, heck even WOW has incorporated it with demon hunters I believe correct me if I am wrong.

Generally games have been receiving improvements over the years yet I still feel like it has been coming slow. Either way improvements are improvements old man, start getting with the times hehe :p
miss thing happen when use group style against single enemies

or strong against fast enemies also you can take potion that makes enemy miss if there hit you

i know alot people say witcher 1 combat may seems outdated or graphic but when i play it i dont feel it outdated like morrowind

and im talking about melee combat not magic or bow combat in morrowind

you tell me games get better is gothic 1 better than gothic 3 ?

Last edited: