witcher 1 -3 and my views on series as whole

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
i never used axe or any other side weapons witcher 1 so i cant comment on that i always used sword that it

but now using any weapons other than sword is plain stupid because there all weak compared to sword your just putting handicap own yourself using axe

about igni being op there mods that fix that fcr makes igni alot weaker also not all monster are weak to igni

also one thing bad about witcher 1 combat is more enemies the easier it because of group combat style
that why in fcr there also removed that op group style

making fighting big group enemies not easy

also damm lizard knight you write in night so onyx can come steal my comment

i wanted to write about wticher 1 combat and how hit and miss works but you write in when i sleeep.......

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
also lizardknight you got quistion about witcher 1 i can tell you i thought you played witcehr 1

but dont ask onyx i dont know how much he played but he tells only basic stuff like igni can become op i ohh if you use fast style on strong enemies you miss basic as hell
you figure that on start on game on game

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
only side weapons i think is good is torch because is gives flame that damage and plant are weak to fire and but i didnt in chapter in cave used old fashion sword and potion to get rid of plants

torch is also good dark areas like inner tomb in chapter 1 where you meet one of your first contract monster boss
or you could also just use cat

miss thing happen when use group style against single enemies

or strong against fast enemies also you can take potion that makes enemy miss if there hit you

i know alot people say witcher 1 combat may seems outdated or graphic but when i play it i dont feel it outdated like morrowind

and im talking about melee combat not magic or bow combat in morrowind

you tell me games get better is gothic 1 better than gothic 3 ?
You keep going on about witcher 1. It actually makes me want to try it. regardless I never played any of the gothic games so I cannot comment on them. I guess I will look into it at some point. However I want to thank you for explaining to me your thoughts on the witcher 1 and such. It seems like a promising game save for the "missing" mechanic.

So I just checked out gothic 2/3 combat videos and honestly it looks pretty outdated. I don't know if it is just my cup of tea. However I will keep witcher 1 for future reference.

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
You keep going on about witcher 1. It actually makes me want to try it. regardless I never played any of the gothic games so I cannot comment on them. I guess I will look into it at some point. However I want to thank you for explaining to me your thoughts on the witcher 1 and such. It seems like a promising game save for the "missing" mechanic.

So I just checked out gothic 2/3 combat videos and honestly it looks pretty outdated. I don't know if it is just my cup of tea. However I will keep witcher 1 for future reference.
witcher 1 has so easy crowd control compared to witcher 2 3

because of group style and igni late game

if you want to make it harder use fcr then group enemies get alot tougher

another thing i like about contract in witcher 1 compared 2 is in witcher 1 is monster bosses
in 2 other that incest queen you kill and harpy queen is pretty much just kill the monster lair

also if you dont want to have hit or miss problem use right style against the right monster
and not like noob in that video use wrong styles on wrong monsters

about gothic 2 3

gothic 3 combat is like dancing also while gothic 3 world is big is feels empty because tthere not any good quest
compared to gothic 1 2 with has alot of good quest but smallar world

gothic 1 combat is fun because is combine movement with attack button

and gothic 1 2 graphic may be outdated but the melee combat is than morrowind

also i wanna say i liked gothic 3 combat while most people hate it

My main problem about W2 was : parry
If you don't parry ennemies are hitting HARD, and I never really understood how that was working
Even after playing several times tutorial, you need to parry, then stop parry when guy attacks then parry as soon as possible to do counter parry and take advantage on the fight
That was the first thing, second thing was the lack of group attack, I guess grenades and co were there to face such opposition but as a W1 player it was weird as fuck
Third and last about combat, I didn't understand when to use or not heavy compared to light, on W1 it's quite obvious which ennemy you face with light, and which with heavy, but on W2 I didn't get shit about what to do and when

Besides this yes of course Witcher has improved a lot over the years, I don't say W2 combat style which is similar to W3 sucks, of course not it's a great improvement and feels gameplay much more realistic

Graphics wise, W1 was already super good, better graphics than Morrowind and was released earlier, of course map is much smaller but still
W1 => W2 =>W3
Morrowind => Oblivion => Skyrim
Both games made some amazing improvements graphic wise

But let's be honest, Witcher is above everything, second game was quite dark, and third was simply gorgeous
Compared to Skyrim, well Bethesda sucks

However TES has a bunch of gameplays mechanics more which give them a + compared to Witcher

Morrowind combat style was super dumb and that's why a lot of people disliked it
Basically the less points in the type of weapon you use the less chances you have to touch ennemy
Which is why a good gear would be to combine Race traits and use their main weapons as your main weapons
For Example a Dummer/Dark Elf would go for Long Swords or Range

Also banana, I finished W1 3 times, First on normal rest on hard, also restarted not long ago cuz we discussed about it with AwesomeGuy
And actually I don't think you miss that much when using light style against heavy ennemies, you'll take ages to kill them, but miss? Not that much

I agree with your first and last points however I was taken back a little when you said witcher 2 is a dark game. I mean the first half when you are running around the castle is not that "dark". Also the part with the insectoids where you run in the forest and such is pretty sunny. However it does get darker later on you are right. Yet it's funny I always remembered the first half part of the game that was sunny whenever I heard someone mention witcher 1. I guess my mind just kind of blotted out all the parts running around in haunted caves in in scary alternate dimensions lol.

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist
My main problem about W2 was : parry
If you don't parry ennemies are hitting HARD, and I never really understood how that was working
Even after playing several times tutorial, you need to parry, then stop parry when guy attacks then parry as soon as possible to do counter parry and take advantage on the fight
That was the first thing, second thing was the lack of group attack, I guess grenades and co were there to face such opposition but as a W1 player it was weird as fuck
Third and last about combat, I didn't understand when to use or not heavy compared to light, on W1 it's quite obvious which ennemy you face with light, and which with heavy, but on W2 I didn't get shit about what to do and when

Besides this yes of course Witcher has improved a lot over the years, I don't say W2 combat style which is similar to W3 sucks, of course not it's a great improvement and feels gameplay much more realistic

Graphics wise, W1 was already super good, better graphics than Morrowind and was released earlier, of course map is much smaller but still
W1 => W2 =>W3
Morrowind => Oblivion => Skyrim
Both games made some amazing improvements graphic wise

But let's be honest, Witcher is above everything, second game was quite dark, and third was simply gorgeous
Compared to Skyrim, well Bethesda sucks

However TES has a bunch of gameplays mechanics more which give them a + compared to Witcher

Morrowind combat style was super dumb and that's why a lot of people disliked it
Basically the less points in the type of weapon you use the less chances you have to touch ennemy
Which is why a good gear would be to combine Race traits and use their main weapons as your main weapons
For Example a Dummer/Dark Elf would go for Long Swords or Range

Also banana, I finished W1 3 times, First on normal rest on hard, also restarted not long ago cuz we discussed about it with AwesomeGuy
And actually I don't think you miss that much when using light style against heavy ennemies, you'll take ages to kill them, but miss? Not that much
well done onyx but i done 10 you need to do some more to catch up to me :)
i never said fast miss strong i said strong on fast is miss and group 1 is miss
your talking basic shit my freind everything about styles you learn in first 10 minut in game if not your blind and cant read english
but im master english and german and polish

i can even talk french in my dreams while drinking french wine mhhh so refreshing....

onyx your wrong about counter you cant coutner at start i think it skill you need to learn like deflect arrows and trow knives

not bomb

ohh also you cant trow knives in witcher 3

I'm sorry but I didn't read everything you wrote, multiposting + weird presentation and ... more
Well, you can dream as much as you want for what I care
Also I never found throwing knives super good, gameplay wise it might sounds cool but
Realistically? Hummm, Witchers throw knives hummm, I didn't read each book but I don't remember such

And Knight, the first impression I remembered from W2 was start of the game, when you gotta heal a cunt wounded by ghouls
At this moment it's very dark and on the Arena as well, I barely remember what goes after, I tried W2 twice never gone very far, and on the second time I only played arena
Tried to get good before playing the game, didn't work
I'm not giving up on this game yet, but the first impressions I had meh, not very satisfied, either W1 or W3

Doomy

Clean your room
Donator
Strategist
Loyalist
I'm sorry but I didn't read everything you wrote, multiposting + weird presentation and ... more
Well, you can dream as much as you want for what I care
Also I never found throwing knives super good, gameplay wise it might sounds cool but
Realistically? Hummm, Witchers throw knives hummm, I didn't read each book but I don't remember such

And Knight, the first impression I remembered from W2 was start of the game, when you gotta heal a cunt wounded by ghouls
At this moment it's very dark and on the Arena as well, I barely remember what goes after, I tried W2 twice never gone very far, and on the second time I only played arena
Tried to get good before playing the game, didn't work
I'm not giving up on this game yet, but the first impressions I had meh, not very satisfied, either W1 or W3
Try using some mods for witcher 2. There is a combat rebalancing mod IIRC, also there is a mod to reduce time medalion cooldown. A lot of good mods that make the game more suited to your taste.

While I touched on the fact that I loved the way the story was focused and centered, and the way the game progressed, the consequences of each action you took... I want to talk more about the mechanics and combat of witcher 2. Not to say you haven't mentioned stuff about the combat mechanics above, but hear me out, ok?

The combat is ok, once you get a hang of it. It is never "great" but that's because it was consolized. You have to stop thinking of yourself as you did in witcher 1 where all you really needed was Swallow to basically win every fight. Even on hardest difficulty, thunderbolt, swallow and white raffard (IIRC) was all you really needed to get thru the game. You were a big fucking "bullet sponge" in witcher 1. In witcher 2, you need to start thinking of yourself as a glass cannon. You can hit hard, but so can they. The mechanics display this too. Bombs and traps are your friend and they're there for a reason. You NEED to use them. You may not like the idea of throwing knives, but they're a tool in geralts arsenal for a reason.

Witcher 3 did things a bit better in terms of combat as it allows you to "dance" around the enemies. You actually FEEL like you are a master swordsman with excellent mutant reflexes.

If I had to sum it up. In witcher 2 you "prove" to the game you are a legendary witcher by knowing the enemies you will encounter and preparing for them ahead of time with bombs, traps and potions. Now if you look at this from a romantic point of view, it also fits with the tune of the story, which is about you remembering more and more of your past and the world. Take this as you will :)

I told you I really do love the witcher 2. Whatever mechanical quirks it has seem to have faded away from my mind and all that remained was the beautiful, interesting story it had to offer.

If I had to sum it up. In witcher 2 you "prove" to the game you are a legendary witcher by knowing the enemies you will encounter and preparing for them ahead of time with bombs, traps and potions.
"Preparing ahead of time" xD
More like dying over and over and savescumming while hoarding all your bombs and knives for some super moment that never comes and end up finishing the game with a bazzilion bombs lol

I haven´t played Witcher 1 & 2, but I still found Witcher 3 very enjoyable. The relatively dark storyline sucked me in and I was pretty much lost in the game for several weeks. I´ve been thinking I should play 1 & 2 aswell, but honestly I think the grafics might be a bit of an issue for me having started in the wrong end so to say.

Doomy

Clean your room
Donator
Strategist
Loyalist
"Preparing ahead of time" xD
More like dying over and over and savescumming while hoarding all your bombs and knives for some super moment that never comes and end up finishing the game with a bazzilion bombs lol
The trick is that you need to always be prepared :D

But no, seriously, after a bit of time it became very easy for me to spot when trouble comes my way. By the time you finish act 1 you should know already how the pace is set and have some foresight. And considering that potions take up 10-20min + bonus period unlocked from skills, you can basically always play it safe and whenever you think trouble is up ahead, you chug a few potions down the hatch. This is especially potent with the alchemy tree, which I love. In both witcher 2 and 3. I think it is the strongest path of skills. It was probably equally as powerful in witcher 1 but as I said, witcher 1 you just needed swallow and tawny for most of the game, a bit of white raffards if you fuck it up, with probably a bit of blizzard, cat and thunderbolt.

But no, seriously, after a bit of time it became very easy for me to spot when trouble comes my way. By the time you finish act 1 you should know already how the pace is set and have some foresight. And considering that potions take up 10-20min + bonus period unlocked from skills, you can basically always play it safe and whenever you think trouble is up ahead, you chug a few potions down the hatch. This is especially potent with the alchemy tree, which I love. In both witcher 2 and 3. I think it is the strongest path of skills. It was probably equally as powerful in witcher 1 but as I said, witcher 1 you just needed swallow and tawny for most of the game, a bit of white raffards if you fuck it up, with probably a bit of blizzard, cat and thunderbolt.
I always tried to make it a priority to not be relliant on potions and other misc items in any game. Yet it was one of the mesmerising parts about the Witcher series since it sort of forces you to instead of charging into battle like a barbar, sit and meditate before hand which seems like some sort of paradox haha. I wonder if all the potion thing was ingrained in the book as well it would be interesting to note how they used potions and such in the witcher books. Eitherway I never went down the potion skill tree however they were never the less very useful. Definitely not something that could be as easily ignored as in other rpgs.

bananashoes112

Strategist
Loyalist

you dont need potion in witcher 1 even on hard only in chapter 1 if you pick right skills and complete all side quest already on chapter 2 your god that dont need potion

i played witcher 2 on hard and dark insane is not harder than hard is just iron mode and i dont like to restart just because i die so i played on hard and dark mode
and dark mode is easier because of op items you can craft so for me hard mode was hardest on witcher 2 and even hard mode on witcher 2 was easy game if you play right

and dont rush in like dumbass but yeah witcher 3 death mode is harder than witcher 2 on hard or witcher 1 on hard if you ask me of course witcher 3 you grind and do thing to get strong because is open world game but even then i still feel witcher 3 is harder