Welcome!

Be our guest and feel free to browse our website and enjoy the content we present to the public. If you would like to participate in our discussions and to have full access to the forums, you are most encouraged to register and become an active member of our growing community.

Ymir Online - a civ game

Discussion in 'Other games' started by Doomy, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Doomy

By:DoomyAug 29, 2018
    Clean your room
    Donator Loyalist Strategist

So there is this game,
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/378360/Ymir/

https://ymir-online.com/

and there are also some youtube videos of people playing it if you look for "ymir online gameplay" or "ymir porcos gameplay" which will help you color your opinion of the game better.

But what is it?
    It's civilization (if instead of people you had pigs) that takes you from the primitive rock-banging era to the medieval era. There are 6 stages of civilization apparently.
    It features a settlers-like/anno-like economy. A settlers-like/anno1404-like war system and a political system and diplomacy similar to civ 3-4-5. But all of those come with a twist. For instance, tech and research isn't a linear tree, it is in fact, a idea-based system which comes from your population. Which means that before you can access a tech to research, your people need to think of it. Basically, after foraging for a while, maybe one of your piggies(porcos) will think about farming the damn things and then you can research farming.

This is of course, a gimmick but it is an interesting one.

What's the other catch?
    it's always online. So when you play, you play on a server. That means that the game goes on forever. This would be a massive fucking "-" for me if it wouldn't have the possibility for you to host your own server. Basically, if we want to play together, we can do it by hosting our own temporary server, play, then shut it down, start it back up whenever we want and we pick up where we left off. So it's no minus, but it does mean it's mean to be played with multiple people.

What else?
    The game advances slowly. Which is great for me because it's a good way to play a game while listening to podcasts or audiobooks. This is not a hardcore-game. This is a game for people who want to chill and relax while playing a game.

What else?
    Well, there's a lot of stuff to get a hang of. Climates, ruler system, etc. But from what i've watched on youtube (about 20h sped up) and what i've read on their game's wikia (porcopedia, there is a link for it from the webpage i linked above), this game is very promising.

So what's the real minus here?
    Well,
    1. The online stuff which I already said is a non-issue
    2. The state of the game. It's in closed beta. Which is basically before you go open-beta which is basically before you go live. So that means this game is months away from release. At least. As far as I can tell. And the only way to buy the game is to go to the link to their website and pay 36EUR at which time you get a steam key and you can add it to your app and play. And the gamedev only releases a few keys every month.

So the question is: Is anyone else interested in this?

• Like Like x 1
    • GG GG x 1
    • List
  2. ok-ck

By:ok-ckAug 29, 2018

Looks interesting, sad that it is not kosher

3. Doomy

Clean your room

Don't worry scro, you can still play it and pretend you're not a kike jew.

4. Dragon

By:DragonAug 29, 2018
    The Mighty Dragon
    Donator Game Admin Strategist

to your knowledge, kike, as febeb knows too, is a slur for jews of no education/illiterate , so in one you make a slur about intelligence of a person as well as making him jewish, and in another just calling him jewish, to also throw it as a slur.
    :thinking:

5. Ske

By:SkeAug 29, 2018
    Mostly Trustworthy
    Tech Admin Donator Strategist

Looks dank.We should get a password protected UoS server.

6. Doomy

Clean your room

You know, I've been thinking.

The fact that the pace of the game is quite slow, means that multiplayer sessions are actually quite easy to form. Why? Because even if someone is late 5-10min, or even 20-30min, if he set up his shit properly, by the time he comes back he comes back to a full stockpile of resources, a growing population and techs that he can research. Meaning that basically he doesn't lose much. Compare this to 5-10min of vicky2, ck2, eu4 or anything else, well, you can lose a lot of in that 10min. Let alone in 20min.

So I think that in the right circumstances, this sort of thing is quite good.
    Besides, youtube is full of videos of people coming back after losing half their pops. I mean, there is this guy on youtube that lost a lot in some episodes and is still doing great.

So yeah. I actually think this is a good game to get.

I think the dev will release some keys to be purchased this Saturday. I'll see if I can snoop one up.
    https://ymir-online.com/product/ymir-closed-testing-steam-key/

7. Doomy

By:DoomyAug 30, 2018
    Clean your room

I strongly recommend to watch the above video playlist on 1.25 or 1.5 speed to get a good understanding of the game, and write here to confirm that you are interested.

Maybe we can get a group of 3-4 people initially on saturday.

8. Doomy

By:DoomySep 1, 2018
    Clean your room

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  9. Hawk

By:HawkSep 1, 2018
    The Old Lion
    Tech Admin Strategist

I'd gladly join but now in closed beta 36 bucks is way too much. I might buy it when it's cheaper.

10. ok-ck

By:ok-ckSep 1, 2018

sold out

11. Doomy

By:DoomySep 2, 2018
    Clean your room

Yep. Most likely then next batch of 20-30 keys will be made available next month on the 1st. Still, no rush :).
    The more you wait, the better your first encounter with the game will be since it will be more polished/more feature-complete.

12. Doomy

By:DoomySep 2, 2018
    Clean your room

A initial impressions of this game.

So hands on experience is around 6h. What are my initial thoughts on this game? Does it match with what I said above or is it different?

Well, without getting too much into the mechanics of the game, I can honestly say this is a great game if you want to listen to podcasts/audio books or go and eat lunch or dinner while playing. Like I said above, as long as your house is in order, you will return to find yourself in a good position to build new buildings, research new ideas and hunt some wildlife. You honestly do not lose that much even if you haven't played for 20-30min. Which is ideal for the scenario i said above -> unlike in eu4, if you are absent 30min of game, your nation is ded. Here, you just bypassed the boring bits. The 1 exception to this rule is the first 2-3h of the game. So if we were to have a team of people and play on our private server, the first session should include everyone who wants to play. Though I do mean that the first 2-3h of when you started your own civ rather than when you entered the game.

Bear in mind, all I said above is regarding the 'real-time' game mode. There is another game mode, called permanent game mode, which is a 10x slower than this. I didn't even touch that nor will I.

So what can you get in the first 2-3h of the game? In my experience, the best run I had was getting these: wells (you don't start off knowing how to build wells so you need to research this), pottery, agriculture, around 200 more population (so a 200% increase), an army of around 20 people, you hunt a few animals, build up your city, set up a large storage area and generally put yourself on the path to get out of the primitive era of the game (there are 6 eras of the game, from stone age to medieval age) though not really getting out of stone age. It may take 2-3h more hours to get to the next age. It does depend on natural resources.

And here's where I should elaborate more. Unlike in civ5, you don't get to just colonize everything. You need to maintain every single city and in order to not succumb to rebellions, you have "state power" and "administrative power" which limit just how much you can expand. think of it as "how many people from how far away recognize you as chieftain". Basically, even if you found another city in the first 1h of the game, you may not have enough "state power" to keep it in check, and therefore they may rebel against you. It's like if a group of people went off to make their own village and you still want to get stuff from them. They'll just poo poo you and show you the middle finger.
    And this is why cooperation is key in this game. Now i have only played on a MP server with 2 other randoms and only met 1 random far away, and he turned out to be a bigger noob @ the game than me so I couldn't really explore this area of the game that much.

There is no 'city state AI', so you cannot just trade / negotiate with the AI. There is barbarian AI that basically cheats and can support a larger army than you can and they will send invasions on your town to raid you. But there is no AI that can manage a city. This is why this is a MP centered game.

So, do I still recommend this game? Yes I do. I do think a group of 4-6 people is best but we'll see how it goes. The price is 36euros and will most likely not get discounted for a long time. The game crashed on me once due to a bug but I other than that it is all good.

Fun game.
    9/11
    And like a pdox game, it only gets better with age.

13. Hawk

By:HawkSep 3, 2018
    The Old Lion
    Tech Admin Strategist

Doomy could you post pictures of your progress? Like I watched a few more videos and it looks really fun. And talk about more about the game and stuff? If I get some more money I might join you (=